Sunday, June 8, 2014

Faith to Move on

     It has been along time since I have had the desire or felt like I wanted to write about the last few months.  It has been a challenging few months for me both physically and emotionally.
     In February, it was determined that I would  need another surgery to remove fibroids from my uterus. The surgery was scheduled for two hours and it ended up taking almost six.  The doctor removed 28 fibroids.  The doctor, who has been practicing for over 25 years, said it was the most fibroids he has ever removed and he still didn't get them all.  I lost a lot of blood and required a blood transfusion.  I spent two nights in the hospital.   
     I came home a few days later hoping to feel better, but it seemed I kept getting worse.  I went in to see the doctor.  He did some tests and discovered that I was bleeding internally and that I would need an emergency hysterectomy to save my life. 
    I admit this was hard to hear. There were a lot of tears.  I had always hoped that by some miracle we would be blessed with getting pregnant.  I knew the chances were small but I also knew it could happen.  After all, I knew of many couples who had struggled with infertility for years and eventually were able to have children.  This, I hoped, would be us.
     Often, we hear of childless women in the scripture and that as a result of their faithfulness, are blessed to bare children. This was my hope.  There is an assumption that if we pray hard enough, fast, have priesthood blessings and faith that this miracle and blessing will happen. Well, hearing the news of having to have a hysterectomy was hard. Did that mean I did not have faith?  Did I not desire enough the blessing of children? Was something wrong with me that I couldn't bring this blessing about with enough faith?  It hurt!
     Amid the difficult second surgery and the complications that followed it,  there were very tender mercies where the Lord tenderly embraced me and helped me accept what needed to be done.  The Lord held me and helped me to stand when I didn't think I could.  Even though the miracle I wanted didn't happen, he gave me other miracles that gave me assurances that he was there and hadn't left me alone.  He knew what I felt.  He gave me increased faith to accept that this is God's plan for me even though it wasn't what I wanted.  He gave me faith to move forward.
    I wouldn't trade Clarissa or the way she came into our family for anything. This is one of the greatest blessings of my life.  While I mourn the loss of not being able to bare a child from my own body, I am forever grateful for adoption and the blessing it has brought into my life to have my own child and to be called, 'Mother.'





5 comments:

  1. Juliann, you expressed your feelings very beautifully. It makes me so sad to think that you wondered if your faith was strong enough b/c you didn't get pregnant! I can't think of any people more faithful than you and David. You guys are such an inspiration to all of us. I don't know why things happen the way they do, but I am so glad that you have felt so many tender mercies from the Lord. Clarissa is so lucky to have you as a mom! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juliann, I can't even imagine what you have been through. 28 fibroids?! Emergency hysterectomy?! You and David have had quite the year. I agree with Chelle. Your faith is inspiring and I'm glad that God reminded you of that. I love you dearly and am so glad Clarissa is yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story. Your faith, courage and continuous positive spirit are inspiring to all that meet you. You are such a ray of sunshine and I am so sorry that you have gone through such trials. I pray that some goodness is going to come your way. Sending you lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also trying to adopt, and I randomly clicked on your LDSFS profile. I know you don't know me but... I just wanted to say that this post really touched me and I thank you for that. I know the feeling of wondering what you are doing wrong because your prayers are not answered in the way you want them to be. I am so sorry for all that you have been through, I appreciate that you have made me a little more grateful today than I was yesterday. Best of luck to you and your family!

    Candyce Lewis

    ReplyDelete