Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Update...

This is a replica of the heart procedure I had done.

I can't believe it has been over two weeks since my surgery. The last two weeks have been a blur. My surgery went as well as can be expected. The first day in the hospital following my surgery was a little rough as my leg where they inserted the catheter kept bleeding. The nurse would not let me move anything at all until it stopped bleeding. I could not even lift my head an inch. They had to give me a steroid shot in the leg to help stop the bleeding but that didn't help, so they put a 10 pound sand bag on my leg for over a half hour. It seemed to help but I didn't have any feeling in my leg afterwards. The doctor said that the hole in my the heart was larger than he had expected and also that they had found a "pocket" inside the septum, which in his words were "that is very bad". I guess blood can clot in that pocket and then break off and cause a stroke etc... So they were able to put this Helex medal device into my heart and seal off the hole and the pocket. It is amazing what they can do. The surgery lasted about and hour and a half. The recovery has been slower than I want it to be but I am doing well. I have to take it easy for about a month--I am not suppose to do anything that will raise my heart rate. This I find almost impossible as I seem to be winded just going upstairs. After the month the doctor will evaluate my heart. He said that it could take 6 to 12 months to heal completely. In the meantime I have to take it easy so the device doesn't shift or dislodge. I have been very touched at the kindness and prayers of so many people. I could not have made it without them. It has not been easy, but my burden has been lightened by the many kind acts of others. Thank you to everyone!

This is an x-ray of the helex metal device in my heart. Fun Stuff!!

8 comments:

  1. Oh Juliann,

    I am so glad that the surgery went well. We will be praying for an equal and speedy recovery. You are amazing! Hang in there.

    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad things are slowly getting better! It was good to see you up and at church Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, so glad that everything went well!! Praying for a quick recovery. I can't wait to see you guys this weekend. It will be fun to catch up. It is so amazing what they can do. Quite miraculous that they can do all this with a cath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, what an ordeal! It's good to hear all went well. Praying for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Juliann,
    My prayers and thoughts are with you that you may start to feel some relief and start healing. It was wonderful to see you today and your positive, upbeat attitude is so inspirational. You truly are an amazing woman. Please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Juliann,

    I am so glad that your surgery went well, and that you are on your way to healing. What a relief to be in such good hands. I am also so grateful to have seen you this evening. Every time I see you it makes me very happy.

    Best wishes to you...all my love right at you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you are recovering even if it is slow. I think you should write a book about all your medical adventures. You sure have a lot of them. I guess your job is to keep the drs. in business right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete